Friday, June 11, 2010

Letters in Summer School

The kids and I have been writing to each other this summer school (highly recommended, by the way). I've been reading them one poem a day (from My Name is Jorge by Jane Medina) and having them quick-write a response. Then we have a written conversation about what they wrote. The responses below are from the poem "Invisible," which talks about how Jorge likes to be unseen by those around him because at least then he doesn't get things wrong, etc. These. Are. Incredible.




4 comments:

  1. Sarah, I loved reading these. Your students sounds like great kids. I am so thankful that people like you are out there in the world teaching the next generation all day in the schools. I feel like this exercise is doing great things for your students' self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these! What a cool idea... what a great impact you're making as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now have a copy of My Name is Jorge . . . and I love it! Thank you for sharing your students' insightful and delightful responses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. It is amazing to see them put their feelings down on paper. :-)
    Bonnie W.

    ReplyDelete